AHRQ Hospital QI Toolkit
The AHRQ Hospital QI Toolkit is designed to help your hospital understand the AHRQ QIs, specifically the Patient Safety Indicators (PSIs) and Inpatient Quality Indicators (IQIs).
- The QI Toolkit serves as an “inventory” from which hospitals can select those tools that are most appropriate for their current quality improvement priorities and capabilities.
- Each of the tools is—by design—adaptable to the needs of an individual hospital.
The tools are organized by the six quality improvement process steps, followed by a resources section:
Assessing Readiness to Change.
Fact sheets on the QIs, a board presentation template, a survey to self-assess readiness to change, and case studies of QI Toolkit users.
Applying QIs to Your Hospital’s Data.
Software instructions to calculate the QI rates and tips for coding and documentation.
Identifying Priorities for Quality Improvement.
Prioritization worksheet, with example, and a presentation template aimed at engaging staff in the improvement process.
Implementing Evidence-Based Strategies to Improve Clinical Care.
25 indicator-specific best practices, a project charter, a gap analysis, and an implementation plan.
Monitoring Progress and Sustainability of Improvements.
Guide to support staff in tracking trends and monitoring progress for sustainable improvement.
Analyzing Return on Investment.
Step-by-step method for calculating the return on investment for an intervention implemented to improve performance on an AHRQ QI, and a case study of return on investment calculated by a hospital.
Other Quality Improvement Resources.
Annotated list of related quality improvement guides and tools.
The toolkit has undergone a field test, evaluation, and revisions in response to feedback from six hospitals. In 2016, AHRQ updated the toolkit to include:
- Updated content to partially address the transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10, including updated documentation and coding practices
- Guidance that can be used to improve pediatric quality in hospitals using the PDIs or other quality measures
- A new presentation template for engaging staff in improvement efforts
- Case studies of two hospitals that have successfully used the QI Toolkit
MapIT Automated In-house Stand-alone Mapping Tool
The AHRQ MapIT toolkit takes a selected set of ICD-9 codes, applies the CMS General Equivalence Mapping in various ways, then outputs the set of related ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes. The tool applies the GEM in a two-stage process using both the forward and backward maps in conjunction with a novel reverse mapping.
Download and install the MapIT tool to facilitate conversion of set names to ICD-10-CM/PCS codes.
- MapIT Users Guide FY2018 (PDF file, 1MB) (Posted: 3/26/2018) New!
- MapIT Tool (ZIP file, 53.2 MB) (Posted: 3/26/2018) New!
- MapIT Tool documentation: Conversion of ICD9 to ICD10 (PDF file, 99KB)
NOTE: Persons with disabilities having difficulty accessing this information should contact us by email at QIsupport@ahrq.hhs.gov.
The support email for users of the AHRQ QI Toolkits is QIsupport@ahrq.hhs.gov. AHRQ Quality Indicators support can also be reached by phone in the USA. The support voice mail is (301) 427-1949. Messages are responded to within three business days.