AHRQ Quality Indicators Learning Institute Webinar Series
- Pancholi, M., Staiger, D., & Geppert, J. (January, 2009). Classifying Hospitals.
- Pancholi, M., Sofaer, S., McBride, S., Bott, J., & Geppert, J. (February, 2009). Displaying the Data.
- Pancholi, M., Sofaer, S., Wright, V., Kolmer, S., & Geppert, J. (March, 2009). The Model Report: Beyond the Data Web Site Design and Content.
- Bott, J., Shannon, M., Migdail, K., & Sofaer, K. (April, 2009). Getting the Public to View and Use your Report.
- Bott, J., Hibbard, J., Sofaer, S., Cronin, C., & Eastman, B. (May, 2009). Evaluation of your Public Reporting Program.
- Bott, J., Tietze, M., Jacob, B., & Stewart, D. (July, 2009). Working with your Hospitals on Quality Improvement: From Small Steps to Large Leaps.
- Bott, J. & Geppert, J. (August, 2009). Quality Indicators Learning Institute Question and Answer Web Forum.
AHRQ Quality Indicators Learning Institute Webinar Series
- Fraser, I., Geppert, J., & Love, D. (October, 2008). Designing your Public Reporting Program.
- Fraser, I., Sofaer, S., & Geppert, J. (November, 2008). Selecting Measures.
- Fraser, I., Romano, P., Strauss, W., & Geppert, J. (December, 2008). Key Choices in Analyzing Data.
October 24 - Webinar on Public Reporting and Quality-Based Purchasing: The Evidence Base and Practical Tools
The-Buy Right for Health Care Quality Series Brochure
- Davies, S. (October, 2009). Expanding the uses of AHRQ’s prevention quality indicators: Validity from the clinician perspective. Seventh Annual Bay Area Health Care Quality and Outcomes Research (HCQ07) Converence.
AHRQ Annual Meeting and AHRQ Quality Indicators User Meeting- September 8-10; Bethesda, MD
- Patient Safety Indicator Validation
- Tiering of the Quality Indicators
- Public Reporting of the Quality Indicators
AHRQ Annual Meeting and AHRQ Quality Indicators User Meeting- September 26-28; Bethesda, MD
- Quality Indicator Reporting Template
- Overview of the Quality Indicators
- Collaborative Validation Efforts
- Panel and workgroup reviews
- Current Evidence
- Validation Pilot
AHRQ Quality Indicators User Meeting- September 26-27; Rockville, MD
- Overview of the AHRQ Quality Indicators
- What are the AHRQ Quality Indicators and how do they fit AHRQ’s organization and mission, Irene Fraser
- What are the AHRQ Quality Indicators and how do they fit AHRQ’s organization and mission, Marybeth Farquhar
- Overview of the AHRQ Pediatric Quality Indicators
- Using the AHRQ Area Level Indicators to Improve Population Health
- Using AHRQ Prevention Quality Indicators to Assess Program Performance in Medicaid Managed Care, Sandra Mahkorn
- Combining the AHRQ Indicator Sets to Assess the Health of Communities: Powerful Information for Planning Purposes, Susan McBride
- Measuring and Managing Quality with AHRQ Quality Indicators, Samir Shalaby
- Using the AHRQ Provider Level Indicators as a Catalyst for Quality Improvement
- Going Public, Ben Yandell
- Covenant Healthcare, Carol Munsch
- Failure to Rescue: Preventing Avoidable Deaths with Rapid Rescue Teams, Joanne Cuny
- Implications of ICD-9-CM Coding Rules for Measuring AHRQ Quality Indicators
- Use of the AHRQ Quality Indicators in National and State Healthcare Quality Reporting
- National Healthcare Reporting: Quality and Disparities Reports, Ernie Moy
- Quality Reporting Initiatives State Trends and Issues, Denise Love
- Methods for Creating Aggregate Performance Indices
- Considerations in Comparative Public Reporting
- Considerations in Comparative and Public Reporting, Patrick Romano
- Considerations in Public Reporting of the AHRQ QIs, Shoshanna Sofaer
- Case Study: Using AHRQ Quality Indicators in Public Reporting
- Inpatient Quality Reporting in Colorado, Scott Anderson
- Oregon Hospital Quality Indicators, Tina Edlund
- Implementing ALL the Consensus Standards: The Journey so far, Daniel Varga
- Case Study: Using AHRQ Quality Indicators in Pay-for-Performance
- Borzecki AM, Christiansen CL, Chew P, Loveland S, Rosen AK. Comparison of in-hospital versus 30-day mortality assessments for selected medical conditions. Medical Care. 2010;48(12):1117-21.
- Borzecki AM, Christiansen CL, Loveland S, Chew P, Rosen AK. Trends in the inpatient quality indicators: the veterans health administration experience. Medical Care. 2010;48(8):694-702
- Borzecki AM, Kaafarani HMA, Utter GH, Romano PS, Itani K, Shin MH, Chen Q, Rosen AK. How valid is the AHRQ Patient Safety Indicator Postoperative Respiratory Failure? The Veterans Health Administration experience. Journal of the American College of Surgeons; in press.
- Davies SM, McDonald KM, Schmidt E, Schultz E, Geppert J, Romano, PS. 'Expanding the Uses of AHRQ's Prevention Quality Indicators: Validity from the Clinician Perspective'. Medical Care. In press.
- Kaafarani HMA, Rosen AK, Nebeker JR, Shimada S, Mull HJ, Rivard PE, et al. Development of trigger tools for surveillance of adverse events in ambulatory surgery. Quality & Safety in Health Care. 2010;19(5):425-9.
- Lemus FC, Tan A, Eschbach K, Freeman DH, Jr., Freeman JL. Correlates of Bacterial Pneumonia Hospitalizations in Elders, Texas Border. Journal of Immigrant & Minority Health. 2010;12(4):423-32.
- Moriarty JP, Finnie DM, Johnson MG, Huddleston JM, Naessens JM. Do pre-existing complications affect the failure to rescue quality measures? Quality & Safety in Health Care. 2010;19(1):65-8.
- Rivard PE, Elixhauser A, Christiansen CL, Shibei Z, Rosen AK. Testing the association between patient safety indicators and hospital structural characteristics in VA and nonfederal hospitals. Medical Care Research & Review. 2010;67(3):321-41.
- Rosen AK, Chatterjee S, Glickman ME, Spiro A, 3rd, Seal P, Eisen SV. Improving risk adjustment of self-reported mental health outcomes. Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research. 2010;37(3):291-306.
- Rosen AK, Singer S, Shibei Z, Shokeen P, Meterko M, Gaba D. Hospital safety climate and safety outcomes: is there a relationship in the VA? Medical Care Research & Review. 2010;67(5):590-608.
- Sadeghi B, Baron R, Zrelak P, Geppert J, Tancredi D, Romano PS. Cases of iatrogenic pneumothorax can be identified from ICD-9-CM coded data. American Journal of Medical Quality; 25(3):218-24.
- Utter GH, Borzecki AM, Rosen AK, Zrelak PA, Baron R, Cuny J, Kaafarani HM, Sadeghi B, Geppert JJ, Romano PS. Designing an abstraction instrument—Lessons from efforts to validate the AHRQ Patient Safety Indicators. The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety; 37(1):20-28.
- Utter GH, Cuny J, Sama P, Silver MR, Zrelak PA, Baron R, Drösler SE, Romano PS. Detection of Postoperative Respiratory Failure: How predictive Is the AHRQ Patient Safety Indicator? Journal of the American College of Surgeons; 211(3):347-354.
- White RH, Garcia M, Sadeghi B, Tancredi DJ, Zrelak P, Cuny J, Sama P, Gammon H, Schmaltz S, Romano PS. Evaluation of the predictive value of ICD-9-CM coded administrative data for venous thromboembolism in the United States. Thrombosis Research; 126(1):61-7.
- Kaafarani HM, Rosen AK. Using administrative data to identify surgical adverse events: an introduction to the Patient Safety Indicators. American Journal of Surgery. 2009;198(5 Suppl):S63-8.
- Romano PS, Mull HJ, Rivard PE, Zhao S, Henderson WG, Loveland S, Tsilimingras D, Christiansen CL, Rosen AK. Validity of selected AHRQ Patient Safety Indicators based on VA National Surgical Quality Improvement Program data. Health Services Research; 44(1): 182-204.
- Rosen AK, Loveland SA, Romano PS, Itani KM, Silber JH, Even-Shoshan OO, et al. Effects of resident duty hour reform on surgical and procedural patient safety indicators among hospitalized veterans health administration and medicare patients. Medical Care. 2009;47(7):723-31.
- Utter GH, Zrelak PA, Baron R, Tancredi DJ, Sadeghi B, Geppert JJ, Romano PS. Positive predictive value of the AHRQ Accidental Puncture or Laceration Patient Safety Indicator. Annals of Surgery; 250(6):1041-5.
- White RH, Sadeghi B, Tancredi DJ, Zrelak P, Cuny J, Sama P, Utter GH, Geppert JJ, Romano PS. How valid is the ICD-9-CM based AHRQ Patient Safety Indicator for postoperative venous thromboembolism? Medical Care; 47(12):1237-43.
- Glance LG, Osler TM, Mukamel DB, Dick AW. Impact of the present-on-admission indicator on hospital quality measurement. Experience with the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) Inpatient Quality Indicators. Medical Care. 2008;46(2):112-9.
- Houchens RL, Elixhauser A, Romano PS. How often are potential patient safety events present on admission? Joint Commission Journal Quality and Patient Safety; 34(3):154-63.
- Marcin JP, Li Z, Kravitz RL, Dai JJ, Rocke DM, Romano PS. The CABG Surgery Volume-Outcome Relationship: Temporal Trends and Selection Effects in California, 1998-2004. Health Services Research. 2008;43(1 Part 1):174-92.
- McDonald K, Davies S, Haberland C, Geppert J, Ku A, Romano PS. “A preliminary assessment of pediatric healthcare quality and patient safety in the U.S. using readily available administrative data.” Pediatrics 2008; 122(2):e416-25.
- Rivard PE, Luther SL, Christiansen CL, Zhao S, Loveland S, Elixhauser A, et al. Using patient safety indicators to estimate the impact of potential adverse events on outcomes. Medical Care Research & Review. 2008;65(1):67-87.
- Weeks WB, West AN, Rosen AK, Bagian JP. Comparing measures of patient safety for inpatient care provided to veterans within and outside the VA system in New York. Quality & Safety in Health Care. 2008;17(1):58-64.
- Horwitz LI, Cuny JF, Cerese J, Krumholz HM. Failure to rescue: validation of an algorithm using administrative data. Medical Care. 2007;45(4):283-7.
- McDonald KM, Davies SM, Geppert J, Romano PS. “Why Rescue the Administrative Data Version of the “Failure to Rescue” Quality Indicator.” Med Care. 2007 Apr;45(4):277-9
- Silber JH, Romano PS, Rosen AK, Wang Y, Even-Shoshan O, Volpp K. Failure-to-Rescue: Comparing definitions to measure quality of care. Medical Care; 45(10):918-25.
- Plancich S, Restrepo E, Prosser J. Cautious use of administrative data for decubitus ulcer outcome. American Journal of Medical Quality. 2006;21(4):262-8.
- Romano PS, Geppert JJ, Davies SM, Miller MR, Elixhauser A, McDonald KM. “A National Profile of Patient Safety in US Hospitals Based on Administrative Data,” Health Affairs 22, no. 2: 154-166 (March/April 2003).
- Dallas-Fort Worth Hospital Council Initiative (2002). AHRQ Inpatient Quality Indicators- Interpretive Guide.